Notes on a community in transition.

Wither thou goest I may or may not follow.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Revenge of the Lawn

I can tell I'm getting older because I've stopped trying to hide how cranky some things make me. Lawns. Lawns are the most insidious weed patches in North America. They're surreal: reflections of minds so deep in denial about what is happening to this planet that the multi-billions of dollars and resources wasted on maintaining the appearance that everything is just-fine-thank-you-very-much, may just as well end up flushed down the toilet. Except of course, that that much flushing would have a negative impact on water supplies.(Though still less of an impact than lawn watering.)
This desperate need to keep up appearances while massive starvation and ecological collapse threatens humanity makes me despair that we will find the will to act before it is too late. This culture of denial will end-up shredded to pieces until even the deniers will finally be forced to wonder what happened to their lawns and how they dried up and got covered with dead things.
I almost wish it would happen just to watch the stupefication settle on their faces, only I can't bring myself to wish that much harm. But go ahead, keep your vanity on display, because when things fall apart your dead lawns will be how we'll know that those within can not be trusted near the food or water supplies, but should be fenced in with their toxic wastes.

ADDENDUM: COMMENT ON WARD 2 APRIL 8

No comments: